Today is Cinco de Mayo. I was trying to get an idea about simple Mexican dishes that I could prepare for today, and I stumbled upon a recipe of a taco bake using pork sausage such as Jimmy Deans. This sounded like a good idea because there was a pound of pork sausage in the freezer and I have all the ingredients at hand.
The entire dish is quick to prepare. It is like making a chili con carne at first because the sausage needs to be browned and cooked with tomato and beans. By the way, I also used store-bought taco seasoning to save time. Once the sloppy mixture is ready, all I did was to assemble it with corn tortilla in a baking dish, top with cheese, and bake it.
This dish deserves special attention. It was simply delicious. I will make this again next time.
I am sharing this pork taco bake recipe to you so that you can enjoy it with your friends and family. If you got an extra pound of sausage, jump into this spaghetti recipe using pork sausage. It is a keeper too.
Pork Taco Bake Recipe
- 1 lb. regular pork sausage
- 1 small package taco seasoning
- 2 14 oz. can diced tomato
- 1 14.oz. can red kidney beans
- 6 oz. tortilla chips
- 1 medium yellow onion dices
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add the pork sausage. Cook until brown.
- Add the onion. Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to get tender.
- Pour the contents of the taco seasoning into the skillet. Stir to mix it with the pork sausage.
- Pour the contents of the canned diced tomato, including the liquid. Stir. Cover and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans. Continue to cook for 12 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange half of the tortilla chips at the bottom of a baking dish. Pour half of the taco mixture over it. Arrange the remaining tortilla over the taco mixture.
- Top the taco mixture with the remaining half of the tortilla and then pour the remaining taco all over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and then top with cilantro (coriander) and sour cream.