I like having spaghetti during lunchtime. It is better if my meat sauce is fragrant and tasty. Sausage and Basil Spaghetti has aroma and taste that I like most in a pasta dish. The basil has a nice inviting fragrance, while the pork sausage is very flavorful.
Most of the meat sauce that I have been making recently use sausage instead of regular ground pork or ground beef. I think that prepared sausage contributes a lot to the overall taste of the pasta dish in a good way. My baked ziti, for example, is full of flavor and yummy.
The meat sauce for Sausage and Basil Spaghetti is easy to make. Start by browning the pork sausage in a pot. The oil from the meat will get extracted as it browns. Chopped onion and garlic were added afterwards. The onion needs to be cooked until tender to get that sweet oniony flavor.
The tomato based meat sauce will not be complete without the tomato. Next goes the combination of diced tomato and tomato sauce. I also used beef broth.Let the sauce boil and the add the fresh basil and Italian seasoning. Simmer this for a while and stir-in some tomato paste to thicken the sauce. Adjust the taste by adding salt and ground black pepper.
You should try this Sausage and Basil Spaghetti Recipe. Bon appetit!
Sausage and Basil Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 lb. Spaghetti noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 1 lb. regular premium pork sausage
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomato
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 8 fresh basil leaves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Separate the noodles from the water. Do not discard the water used to cook the pasta.
- Heat a cooking pot and then add the pork sausage. Cook until the color of the sausage gets light brown.
- Add the onion and garlic. Saute with the sausage until the onion softens. Note: the oil that was extracted from the sausage should help cook the onion and garlic.
- Add the diced tomato,tomato sauce, and beef broth. Stir. Let boil.
- Add the fresh basil and Italian seasoning. Cover and then cook in low heat for 30 minutes. You can stir every few minutes to prevent the sausage from sticking on the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and continue to cook until the texture of the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the spaghetti and mix.
- Transfer to a plate. Top with grated Parmesan.