Picadillo is a dish composed of ground meat and vegetables. These are sautéed and stewed in a tomato-based sauce. This dish is served often with less or no sauce. This means that it has to be cooked until the sauce almost dries up. It is a good thing because the flavors from the broth and tomato gets concentrated making the dish tastier.
I enjoy eating picadillo for either lunch or dinner. Simply to over warm white rice and you got yourself a nice meal. You can also enjoy pork afritada the same way. Here is the recipe if you have not tried it yet.
I also love to have it with Hawaiian sweet rolls. Believe me, this combination is so good! By the way, save the leftovers because you can still use it to make chile rellenos.
How to Cook Picadillo
Start by sauteeing garlic and onion. These ingredients help provide flavor to the dish. The onions should be soft before adding beef. This gives the dish extra sweetness.
Brown the beef and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Next is to add diced tomato and raisins. I am using canned tomato for this recipe. Fresh ripe tomato can also be used. Very ripe tomatoes are best.
These needs to simmer in beef broth until the liquid completely evaporates You may use store-bought beef broth or homemade beef stock depending on your preference.
Add the vegetables such as carrots and potato and cook for 8 to 12 minutes while the pan is covered. The pitted olives and green peas go in next. Cook for 5 minutes to extract the flavors from the olive and then season with salt and pepper. I also find it to be tastier when using fish as a seasoning, instead of salt. It gives the dish that nice umami taste.
Try this Picadillo Recipe.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 8 ounces diced tomato
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 piece carrot diced
- 2 pieces potato diced
- 1 cup green olives pitted
- ¾ cup green peas
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Saute garlic and onion.
- Add ground beef once the onion softens. Continue to cook while stirring until it browns.
- Add diced tomato and raisins Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour beef broth. Cook until liquid reduces.
- Add carrot and potato. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Put the olives and greens pea into the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Enjoy!