Filipino Lumpiang Shanghai are small pieces of fried egg rolls. These egg rolls are prepared using ground pork along with some vegetables. This recipe is simple because it uses less veggies and other ingredients. The vegetables are only carrot and onion along with salt and pepper as seasonings; Sesame oil is also added to achieve that delicious Asian food aroma and taste.
Lumpiang Shanghai is best eaten with a sweet and sour sauce dip. This sweet and sour sauce recipe never fails me. Alternative dips can be tomato ketchup, spicy vinegar, ponzu, and banana ketchup. Banana what? You read it right, banana ketchup is not a common ingredient in other parts of the world, but this is almost everywhere in the Philippines.
The spring roll wrapper is a thin wrapper made from flour. This can be purchased in Asian and Filipino stores. In the Philippines, this is available in wet (and dry) markets, grocery stores, and supermarkets. You can also make one for yourself using this recipe.
So, what do you eat lumpia with? It is usually enjoyed with fried rice. It also is best with pancit or rice noodles. Eat it your way and enjoy!
Try this Filipino Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe. Tell us how you liked it.
Filipino Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 large yellow onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 50 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, onion, carrot, salt, ground black pepper, garlic, Sesame oil, and eggs. Mix well.
- Scoop around 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon of ground pork mixture and arrange in the middle of the lumpia wrapper. Wrap and seal the edge (see video for details). Do this step until all the ground pork mixture is consumed.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or cooking pot. The oil should be at 350F.
- Deep fry until the lumpia gets golden brown. Let the excess oil drain.
- Arrange in a plate line with paper towel. Let is stay for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to s serving plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
- Share and enjoy!