Pancit Canton is a Filipino noodle dish made from flour noodles. The Filipino term for the flour noodle is the same as the name of the dish. When you look at the ingredient list below, you will know what I am saying. This particular recipe uses boiled chicken breasts that were shredded. Shrimp and Chinese sausage slices are nice to have for the dish. These are guaranteed to enhance the entire dish and make it taste even more delicious.
The good thing about Filipino pancit in general is that it combines meat, noodles, and veggies. It makes it a complete meal by itself and it represents almost all the food groups that our body needs. Always feel free to alter the recipe by adding more vegetables. You can do the same when cooking Pancit Bihon.
How do you eat Pancit Canton the Filipino way? The answer is simple. Squeeze a piece or two of calamansi (calamondin) over your pancit and sprinkle some black or white pepper powder on top. You can also add a bit of fish sauce before tossing the noodles. It can be better enjoyed with some crispy lumpia on the side.
Leftovers are still good for the next day. Secure it in a bag or box and keep it in the fridge. It can be eaten with sliced bread in the morning. Here is how it goes: heat the pancit canton in a microwave oven for a minute or so. Grab a slice of loaf bread and scoop some pancit and arrange it in the middle of the bread. Fold the bread to secure the noodles and eat it like you do with regular sandwich. This is how some people do it and I must say that it works for me too. You’ll never know unless you try.
Pancit Canton Recipe
- 8 oz. Pancit Canton flour stick noodles
- 12 to 15 pieces small shrimp shelled
- ½ head small cabbage chopped
- 20 pieces snap peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 small carrot julienned
- 2 pieces Chinese sausage sliced into thin pieces
- 6 oz. chicken breast boiled and shredded
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Sauté onion and celery
- Add the shredded chicken and Chinese sausage. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir-in the carrot and parsley and continue to stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the snap peas and cabbage. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir-in the shrimp and toss. Add soy sauce and chicken broth. Let boil.
- Add the flour sticks or pancit canton. Gently toss until the noodles become soft and all the ingredients are well blended.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with lime or calamansi.
Leave a Reply