Everyone enjoyed our chicken with broccoli dinner today. It was delicious. The chicken was tender and the broccoli was cooked the way we want it. It had a thick sauce, which my husband likes to top over warm rice. I did the same too. It was a pleasant experience.
I thought of making chicken with broccoli because we were having red meat for the past couple of days. Guess who was in-charge of the kitchen during that time? It was he, our resident carnivore.
This chicken version is as good as its beef counterpart. It is so easy to prepare and took me only around 12 minutes to cook. I had to marinate the slices of chicken breast in a mixture with soy sauce for a few minutes though. This is necessary so that the chicken will be savory.
There was a bag of frozen steamed broccoli florets in the freezer that I was able to use. It made the total cooking time quicker because pre-cooked broccoli takes less time to stir-fry. I think that this is the ideal dish to make on busy days such as today. Have fun cooking.
Chicken with Broccoli Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast sliced into thin pieces
- 1 cup broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Combine sliced chicken with soy sauce, sherry, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Combine water (or chicken broth) with oyster sauce and cornstarch. Stir until the cornstarch is completely diluted. Set this aside for now.
- Heat the oil in a wok or wide frying pan.
- Add the minced garlic. Sauté until it starts to get light brown.
- Stir fry the marinated chicken. You can pour the remaining marinade on the wok. Cook in high heat while stirring until the chicken turns light to medium brown. Ensure that the garlic does not get burnt in the process. Otherwise, you will need to adjust the heat to medium or lower and continue to cook until the chicken gets that nice color.
- Add the broccoli florets. Stir fry for 1 minute if you are using steamed frozen broccoli. Add another minute if using fresh broccoli florets.
- Pour the bowl that contains the mixture of oyster sauce, water, and cornstarch. You may want to stir it one more time before pouring to be sure. Stir and cook until the sauce reduces in half or reaches your desired thickness.
- Enjoy over a bowl of warm rice.