Chicken Chop Suey is a version of the popular chop suey dish. It is my favorite dish to make when I am pressed for time. It is quick to prepare, healthy, and delicious without a doubt. The entire dish can be completed in 20 minutes. There are also options for side dishes that you can pair it with. My preference is mostly white rice. However, I also find it great when topped with crispy noodles.
Note that it will be best to add more sauce to your chicken chop suey if you intend to top it over noodles. Add around 1 cup of chicken broth or a bit more instead of following the ½ cup broth indicated in the recipe below.
How to Cook Chicken Chop Suey
Start by cooking the chicken. Pour oil in a wok or pan and then stir-fry the boneless chicken breasts once the oil gets hot. Do this until the chicken browns a bit. Next is to add some flavor into your chop suey. I am using oyster sauce for this recipe. Soy sauce is also a good alternative. Continue to stir-fry with onions until the latter softens.
The quality of vegetables plays a great part in the success of this dish. The veggies should be fresh and crisp. Cook the vegetables on high heat for a short period of time to achieve this consistency. I must say that bell peppers and carrots help provide flavor to the dish. It will be ideal to make sure that these are always available.
Chicken chop suey should have a bit of sauce. There can be more sauce depending on your preference or purpose. The amount of chicken broth added determines the sauce. Add more if you intend this to be topped over crispy noodles as the noodles need to absorb more liquid in order to soften.
Thicken the sauce by adding a mixture of cornstarch and water and then adjust the flavor by seasoning with salt and ground black pepper.
Try this Chicken Chop Suey Recipe. Enjoy!
Chicken Chop Suey
- 4 ounces chicken breast sliced
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 12 pieces snap peas
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower sliced
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced
- 1 piece carrot sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 piece yellow onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute chicken until light brown. Add oyster sauce and onion. Stir-fry until onion softens.
- Add cauliflower, cabbage, snap peas, carrot, and bell peppers. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan. Stir and let the liquid boil.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Pour into the pan and gently stir until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
This looks delicious.I am going to cook this right now?