Beef Bourguignon is one of my ultimate favorite beef stew. I like it a lot because it is simply delicious. You might be intimidated to try to cook this dish, so I am sharing this recipe to guide you step by step on how to cook Beef Bourguignon the easy way.
Please take note that each ingredient plays an important role to the overall success of this dish. I encourage you to use the exact ingredients as written and avoid substitutes, as much as possible. If you have clarifications and questions, feel free to write them down in the comments box below.
This dish goes well over a slice of French bread. I also like to have it over mashed potato. Of course, it can also be eaten with warm rice. Enjoy!
Try this delicious Beef Bourguignon Recipe. You will never regret it.
Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 2 lbs. beef chuck or sirloin cubed
- 6 ounces bacon chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced diagonally
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 12 to 18 pieces pearl onions peeled
- 3 cups red wine merlot
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ lb. chopped cremini mushroom
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pot until fat comes out and the bacon turn light to medium brown. Remove the bacon and half of the fat. Put in a bowl. Set aside.
- Continue to heat the pot with bacon fat. Add the cubed beef and then cook for 5 to 8 minutes (or until the color turns medium brown) while stirring. Transfer to a bowl and include the juice. Set aside.
- Pour the bacon fat saved in step 1 into the pot. Heat the pot and then add the carrot; sauté for 3 minutes. Add the diced yellow onion. Continue to sauté until the onion gets soft.
- Put the cooked beef (with juice) and bacon back in the pot. Stir.
- Pour the red wine and beef broth. Let boil.
- Stir and add tomato paste and fresh thyme. Cover, set the heat to low, and then cook for 2 hours; add more beef broth if it starts to dry out.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan. Sauté the mushrooms in medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes; set aside.
- Put the pearl onions in. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms with butter. Stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the flour on top. Quickly stir until the flour completely dilutes in the sauce.