Sweet and Sour Tokwa is a simple appetizer dish wherein extra firm tofu that were sliced into cubes are deep fried until brown and crispy and then combined with sweet and sour sauce with vegetables before serving. This delicious dish is fit for beginners. It is simple and easy to cook.
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Tokwa
Cooking Sweet and Sour Tofu at home has never been easier. There are two processes involved. First is the preparation of the tofu, the next is making sweet and sour sauce.
Making tofu crisp and brown involves deep frying. You may use lesser oil if desired. Simply heat the oil in a deep cooking pot. Add the diced tofu once the oil gets hot.
Take note that oil will likely splatter because the tofu is somewhat wet. Take extra precaution by covering the pot with a splatter screen, or use its regular cover. When using regular pot cover, always leave an open space for steam to escape. Also, do not cover for a long time so that the desired outcome can be achieved quickly.
Remove the fried tofu from the pot once it gets brown. Place it on a plate lined with paper towel. The towel will help absorb the oil.
Making the sauce is the easiest. All you have to do is combine all sweet and sour sauce ingredients and then mix everything together until well blended. Set this aside for now. A simple version of this recipe only involves tofu and the sauce. The vegetables can be omitted.
Time to cook the sauce along with the vegetables. Saute garlic using some of the oil left from frying tofu. Add onion, bell peppers, carrot, and pineapple. Continue cooking for a few minutes before pouring over the sauce mixture.
I cook the liquid with the veggies and pineapple for around 3 minutes so that the flavors will stick to the sauce. This is thickened by a adding a slurry composed of cornstarch and water.
Put the fried tofu into the pan with the sauce. Stir and serve immediately.
Try this easy and delicious recipe. Have fun cooking!
Sweet and Sour Tokwa
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu cubed
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced into squares
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced into squares
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 1 piece carrot sliced crosswise
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Prepare the tofu by heating 2 cups oil in a pot. Deep-fry tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by combining sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and water in a bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Scoop around 3 tablespoon of cooking oil from the pot where the tofu was fried. Pour it into a clean pan. Heat oil and saute garlic until it starts to brown.
- Add onion. Continue sautéing until the layers are separated. Put carrot, pineapple, and bell peppers. Saute for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Pour-in sweet and sour sauce mixture. Stir and let it boil. Continue cooking in low to medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce by combining cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix and then pour into the pan. Stir until the sauce thicken.
- Add fried tofu back into the pan. Stir. Serve hot.
What happened to your other website? (Panlasang pinoy). I’ve been following you there.
Vanjo Merano says
It is still doing great. Have you visited the site lately? There are tons of new recipes added.