Pork Steak is a Filipino pork dish wherein pork chops are marinated and cooked in soy sauce and lemon with onions. This is a delicious dish best served with rice. It can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner any day of the week.
How to Cook Pork Steak
Pork steak is simple to cook. Marinating the meat is the first step in this recipe. It is best to marinate the pork before cooking. The process infuses flavor on the meat making it tastier.
It is helpful to use a resealable freezer bag to hold the meat and marinade together. Simply put the pork chops in the bag and pour the soy sauce and lemon juice in it. Try to shake the bag quickly to blend the ingredients. Make sure to let the air out before sealing so that the meat completely gets coated with the marinade. Let is stay for at least one hour. If I have time, I prepare this a day before so that the meat can absorb most of the marinade.
Drain the remaining marinade from the bag and set aside. It is time to pan-fry the pork chop. It convenient for me to use a cooking oil spray for this step. Heat a wide pan and spray cooking oil. Pan-fry each side of the marinated pork chops for 1 ½ minutes. Remove the pork chops from the pan and put in a clean plate. Set this aside for now.
Now, it is time to prepare saute the onion and garlic. Pour cooking oil on the same pan used to pan-fry the pork. Saute garlic and onion until the latter softens. Add beef broth and pour the remaining marinade. Let the mixture boil. This will be used to tenderize the pork chops.
Put the pork chops back into the pan and cook for 20 minutes. Make sure to cover the pan during the process. Turn it over and continue to cook the other side for 18 minutes. It is ideal to check the liquid one in a while. Add more broth if needed.
The last steps are to season with sugar and ground black pepper, and to add the remaining onions. These cooks for 8 minutes. You now have a tender and tasty pork steak that you can enjoy with warm white rice.
Pork Steak Alternative Ingredients
Different cuts of pork can be used for this recipe. I suggest to use the fatty cuts if you want the meat moist. Pork shoulder is a cut that I recommend. Make sure to slice it flat before cooking. Using pork tenderloin works too. This cut is lean and does not require much time to tenderize.
Use dark or light soy sauce for this recipe. Tamari works too. Coconut amino can also be used to make pork steak. This is a soy sauce alternative that people in the Ketogenic diet use.
There is preference on the type and kind of onions for this recipe. Feel free to use white, yellow, or red onions. Shallots can also be used. Adding scallions or green onions is not a bad idea.
While lemon is listed in the recipe below, feel free to use lime and calamansi (calamondin).
Another Filipino Salisbury Steak version that I also recommend is called burger steak. Check the recipe here for details.
Try this Pork Steak Recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 lbs. pork chop
- 1 piece yellow onion
- 3/4 cups soy sauce
- 1 piece lemon
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups beef broth
- Place pork chops in a resealable bag. Pour soy sauce into the bag and squeeze-in lemon. Blend all ingredients. Seal the bag and marinate for at least one hour.
- Drain the excess marinade. Set it aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil on a pan or use cooking oil spray. Pan-fry marinated pork chops for 1 ½ minutes per side. Remove pork chops from the pan. Set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons cooking oil on the same pan. Saute garlic and half of the onions once the oil starts to get hot.
- Once onion softens, pour beef broth and pour the remaining marinade. Let boil.
- Put pork chops back into the pan. Cover and cook in medium heat for 20 minutes. Note: add more broth as necessary.
- Turn the pork chops over. Cover and cook in medium heat for 18 minutes.
- Season with sugar and ground black pepper. Add remaining onions. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm white rice.