If you have tried our oven baked fried chicken wings and liked it, this fried chicken and waffles recipe that I am sharing today is something that you should consider trying. It is easy, simple, and speedy – it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare everything.
The waffles with butter and syrup are fit for breakfast, while the fried chicken is usually eaten around lunchtime. These are the reasons why I consider fried chicken and waffles as a brunch meal. That is only for me, you should be able to make and eat this anytime you please.
I made a simple fried chicken for this recipe with just salt and pepper. It was coated with flour before frying. What makes the fried chicken juicy and crispy has something to do with the frying time and temperature. I recommend the use a cooking thermometer for this recipe in order to achieve best results.
The waffles that I used for this recipe were store bought. These are the Eggo and the likes. This makes my task simpler because I don’t need to make waffles from scratch. However, feel free to make your own waffles if you wish. It can be prepared during the time when the chicken is being deep fried.
I like the texture of whipped butter when placed over the hot waffles. I also love the idea of scooping it like what I usually do with ice cream. These were the reasons why I opted for this ingredient. Of course, regular unsalted butter is also perfect for the waffles. Don’t forget the maple syrup.
Fried Chicken and Waffles
- 6 pieces frozen waffles
- ¼ cup whipped butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
Fried chicken ingredients
- 1 lb. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat the oil to 350F. Note: it will be best to use a cooking thermometer to monitor the heat.
- Rub salt and pepper all over the chicken. Let is stay for at least 5 minutes.
- Arrange the flour in a wide plate or bowl. Dredge the chicken in flour and then dip it in the beaten egg mixture. Roll the chicken back into the bowl with flour making sure that it is completely coated.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Note: The time this process will depend on the part of the chicken used and the thickness of the cut. Dark meat should be done within 12 to 14 minutes. The white meat of the chicken cooks faster – usually around 8 to 12 minutes. However, the use of a meat/cooking temperature is still recommended for best results.
- Remove the fried chicken from the pot or deep fryer and then arrange it over a wire rack so that excess oil can freely drip.
- Prepare the frozen waffles by placing it in the oven or oven toaster until done. Use the directions from the package instructions.
- Arrange the waffles and fried chicken in a plate. Top the waffles with a scoop of whipped butter and some maple syrup. Enjoy your meal.