Carry-out lasagna is a convenient way to make individual portioned lasagna to bring to work or school for lunch. This lasagna recipe is tasty, delicious, and handy.
If you are the type of person who plans ahead for your meal or wants to save time by making your meals in bulk for later consumption, this recipe idea is for you. You can make up to six (6) servings of lasagna from this recipe. The means that you will need at least 6 pieces of 3-cup rectangular glass container to accommodate all of it. The ingredients can be assembled in each container and stored in the freezer for up to 10 days. Simply thaw the frozen lasagna before baking when you feel like having it. How awesome is that?
How to Cook Lasagna
Start to cook your lasagna by preparing the sauce. Use olive oil to cook the beef. Simply heat the olive oil in a pan and brown the beef. 85% lean beef is perfect for this lasagna recipe. Add the garlic and onion once the beef brown. The key to initially cooking or sauteing onion is that you know that it’s time for the next ingredient to be added when the onion becomes soft.
This recipe has three types of tomato based sauce: crushed tomato, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. This combination has something to do with the consistency of the sauce. Add each one after the other and then stir. Let it boil then add the spices and seasonings. It is best to cook this covered in low to medium heat for 40 minutes or longer. Remember to stir it once in a while to prevent the beef from sticking at the bottom of the pan.
The lasagna is the easiest to prepare: simply follow the package instructions or follow step 5 in the recipe below. Once your lasagna and sauce are ready, it is time to assemble these in the container. At this point, make sure that the oven has been preheated already to 375 F because it takes a while for the oven to heat-up.
Start to assemble your lasagna by pouring a layer of meat sauce on each container. Slice the lasagna as needed to fit each container, and then top the sauce with lasagna. Spread Ricotta cheese all over it and sprinkle Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top. These trinity of cheeses makes this lasagna recipe stand out. Top the cheese with another layer of meat sauce. Cover the sauce with lasagna and then finally top with Mozzarella, Parmesan, and chopped parsley. Now, you are ready to bake these in the oven, or keep it in the freezer for later use.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Carryout Lasagna
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 box (16 oz.) lasagna
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomato
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 16 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1½ teaspoons salt (for the sauce)
- 1 tablespoon salt (for the lasagna pasta)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan and then add the beef. Cook until brown.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the crushed tomato and tomato sauce, and then add the tomato paste. Stir and let boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1½ teaspoons salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Cover and cook in medium heat for 40 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lasagna by boiling 8 cups of water in a cooking pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt then add the lasagna. Cook for 8 to 9 minutes. Remove the lasagna and let it drain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Assemble the carry-out lasagna on a 3-cup rectangular Pyrex food container first by spreading the meat sauce at the bottom. Top it with lasagna, then spread Ricotta cheese over it. Sprinkle some Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top. Pour another layer of meat sauce over the cheese. Follow-up with another layer of lasagna and add a layer of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top. Sprinkle chopped parsley if desired.
- Cover the individual food storage with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 to 26 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven. Enjoy!