Chicken Giniling is a version of a more popular dish that uses ground pork. It is a type of chicken stew wherein ground chicken is cooked in a tomato based sauced with potato, carrot, green peas, and raisins.
I enjoy having Chicken Giniling with Green Peas and Raisins for lunch. This has been a comfort food for me since I was a child. I like it best when it is topped over rice in a bowl while still warm. Leftovers are also enjoyable to eat. It makes a good breakfast especially when paired with pandesal.
This one-pot recipe takes less than 30 minutes to cook and the procedure is simple. It is one of those easy chicken recipes that I recommend to home cooks.
How to Cook Chicken Giniling
Note that ground turkey can also be utilized as an alternative to ground chicken. The first thing to do is saute the aromatics. This refers to the garlic and onion. Heat oil then saute onion and garlic. The aroma tells you when to add the chicken. Once your kitchen starts to smell good, check the onions and verify that these have softened.
It is a good practice to add ground meat only after the onion becomes soft. Continue cooking the chicken while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add tomato sauce and chicken broth afterwards and let the sauce boil. 20 minutes is enough time to cook the chicken. Homemade chicken stock can be used as a substitute for chicken broth.
Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking until the veggies are soft. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Fish sauce can also be used instead of salt. It provides a savory taste to the dish.
Chicken Giniling with Green Pea and Raisin
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 1 piece carrot cubed
- 2 pieces baking potato cubed
- 3/4 cups green peas frozen
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute garlic and onion until the latter softens.
- Add chicken. Stir and cook until it turns light brown.
- Pour tomato sauce and chicken broth. Let boil. Cover the pan. Adjust the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add raisins, green peas, carrot, and potato. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve with rice.