This is the most speedy way of preparing good quality kare-kare. The oxtail is very tender, while the peanut sauce is rich, thick, and tasty. It also comes with steamed veggies on top and some yummy shrimp paste to help enhance its overall flavor.
First things first, the peanut sauce should be prepared from scratch if you want the best result. I understand that there are powdered mixes available in the market that you can use to cook kare-kare and other dishes. I have nothing against these products. Go ahead and use it if you want to have a mediocre dish. Otherwise, stick to this recipe to get better results. The choice is yours.
Start making your kare-kare by preparing your ingredients. The oxtail needs to be prepared by making it very tender before cooking it with the rest of the ingredients. I simply boil 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker, add the oxtail, and pressure cook it for at least 30 minutes. Salt can also be added while cooking the oxtail. The vegetables, on the other hand, needs to be steamed for 10 to 12 minutes. You can combine the string beans, bok choy, and eggplant in a steamer and steam these at the same time. Lastly, prepare annatto water by soaking annatto seeds in water. This will give your dish that orange color.
Once the ingredients are ready, it will be quick to cook your kare-kare. Note that I am using beef broth in this recipe because it helps provide a nice beefy flavor to the dish. If you plan to just use plain water, I suggest to add a piece of beef cube to make the peanut sauce taste meatier.
Notice at the end if the recipe that there is a step to add glutinous rice powder. The purpose of this ingredient is to make the peanut sauce thick. Make sure that you distribute this evenly around the pot while sprinkling so that lumps won’t form. If in case you cannot find glutinous rice powder, you can use all-purpose flour as an alternative ingredient.
Cheers to good food!
Give this Ox Tail Kare-kare Peanut Stew Recipe a try today.
Oxtail Kare-kare Peanut Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs. oxtail pressure cooked for 30 minutes
- ½ cup ground peanuts
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup annatto seeds diluted in ½ cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- 1 tablespoon glutinous rice powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 sliced Chinese eggplant steamed
- 1 bunch bok choy steamed
- 1 bunch string beans cut into short pieces steamed
- ½ cup shrimp paste bagoong, cooked
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add the cooked ox tail. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot. Let boil.
- Add the peanuts, peanut butter, and water where the annatto seeds were soaked. Stir. Cover and continue to cook in medium heat for 30 minutes or until the liquid reduces to half.
- Sprinkle the glutinous rice powder. Stir well until the powder dilutes in the sauce. Cook until the peanut sauce gets thick according to your preference.
- Arrange in a serving bowl. Top with steamed vegetables and serve with shrimp paste. Enjoy!