Chicken Noodle Soup is comforting. It makes you feel better if you have a cold, and it can also help you feel warm during cold weather. This recipe for chicken noodle soup is simple, but it can be one of the tastiest that you will ever make.
The good thing about chicken soups is that there are many options to make one; you can use different ingredients to come-up with a version the suits your taste. This recipe went out-of-the-box by using rotisserie chicken instead of regular chicken breasts. There are some advantages in this approach and saving time is one of these — not to mention additional flavor brought about by the roasted chicken.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Start by preparing all the ingredients. Carve the roasted chicken and slice it into cubes. Chop the onion and celery. Slice the carrots. Once these are all ready, you can heat-up the stove and start melting the butter in the cooking pot.
Make sure to apply low to medium heat when melting butter. Add the olive oil when the butter is about to completely turn into liquid. Stir and let the mixture get hot. The olive oil will help prevent the butter from getting burnt because of its higher smoke point.
Saute the onion, celery, and carrot. Add salt and pepper and then stir-in the chicken slices. The amount of salt and pepper will depend on your preference. You may or may not use these ingredients.
Pour-in the chicken broth (or chicken stock). Let it boil. Use store bought chicken broth or stock if you want to save time. This recipe makes use of 3 herbs to help improve its flavor: oregano, basil, and parsley. Add the herbs (dried form) and stir. Cover the pot and cook for a few minutes and then add the wide egg noodles. You can also use other types of noodles or pasta if you prefer.
- 1 lb. rotisserie chicken, sliced into cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery stalk
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 2½ tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a cooking pot. Add olive oil.
- Once the butter and oil gets hot, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until the onion becomes soft.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add the chicken in the cooking pot. Stir and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth in. Let boil.
- Add basil, oregano, and parsley. Stir. Cover and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the noodles. Continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Serve.