Beef Kaldereta is a type Filipino beef stew. It makes use of tomato sauce and liver spread (or liver pate). Vegetables such as potato, carrot, green olives, and capsicum are also added.
Caldereta is another way to spell this dish. It is pronounced the same way though. It is popular Filipino dish and is usually cooked and served during special occasions such as birthday parties, town fiestas, and wedding receptions.
The best way to eat kaldereta is to eat it with a cup of white rice. It can also be eaten along with other main dishes.
Other types of meat can also be used to cook this dish. There is “Kalderetang Kambing”, which makes use of chevon or goat meat. Pork kaldereta is another version that makes use of pork.
Try this Filipino Beef Kaldereta Recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Filipino Beef Kaldereta
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, sliced into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large potato cubed
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup liver pate or liver spread
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brandy
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Sauté garlic and onion
- Add the beef. Cook until light brown.
- Pour-in brandy. Stir.
- Add the liver pate or liver spread. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce; stir and add the beef broth. Cover and cook in low heat for 45 to 60 minutes or until the beef gets tender. Add water if needed.
- Add the olives and carrots. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the potato and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Stir and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Enjoy with rice!