Chicken Cordon Bleu has always been a pleasure to have either for lunch or dinner. Contrary to what most people are thinking, cooking this dish is easier than expected. This chicken cordon bleu recipe will guide you on how to prepare chicken cordon bleu including its rich and delicious sauce.
How to Cook Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu requires thinly sliced chicken breasts for easier handling. It can easily be achieved by pounding the chicken breasts that you purchased from the supermarket. Make sure that the chicken is completely thawed. Place the chicken inside a large Ziploc bag or any tough plastic material similar to it and then place the bag over a chopping board. Start to pound the chicken using the flat side of a meat tenderizer tool from the center going outwards until the chicken is around 1/4 inch thick. Do this step on the remaining chicken breasts.
Once the chicken breasts are ready, place these on top of a plate and arrange ham and Swiss cheese on top. You can use more than one slice of ham and cheese if desired. Start to roll one end of the chicken breast until it reaches the other end. Use toothpicks to secure the chicken and retain its shape.
Now it’s time to prepare the eggs. Crack both eggs on a bowl. Whisk or beat for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside. Grab the flour and place in another bowl. As for the Panko bread crumbs, place it in a container with cover. This type of bread crumb is also known as Japanese bread crumb. Start the process by dredging the rolled chicken cordon bleu breasts in four and then dip in egg, and then shake it with bread crumbs until totally coated.
Next is to fry the chicken cordon bleu for a few minutes and then bake it. You can heat the cooking oil in pan and also preheat the oven at the same time. Fry the chicken in low to medium heat for a few minutes per side. Arrange the chicken in a baking tray lined with foil and bake it. The chicken should be done after around 25 minutes. Time to make the sauce.
The chicken cordon bleu sauce recipe is very easy to make. You’ll need cream of chicken soup such as Campbell’s, sour cream, and lemon. A quick thing to do is mix everything together and then heat the saucepan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes while stirring. Another way is to follow the recipe below.
- 3 pieces chicken breasts
- 4 to 6 pieces Swiss cheese slices
- 3 pieces ham slices
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups cooking oil
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Arrange each chicken breast slices inside a transparent plastic bag. Place the bag over a chopping board and then pound the chicken breast from the center going outward until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and lay flat on a plate or chopping board. Top the sliced chicken with a piece or two of ham and Swiss cheese. Roll the chicken breast from one end to the other. Use toothpicks to secure the rolled chicken breast. Do this procedure on the other chicken breasts that you have.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs in a bowl and then beat until somewhat fluffy. Set aside.
- Arrange the flour in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Place the Pano bread crumbs in a resealable container such as a Ziploc bag or a plastic container with cover.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in flour and then coat with egg. Put a piece on the container with breadcrumbs and shake until the chicken is fully coated with bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot. Once the oil gets hot, fry the chicken breasts in low to medium heat for 2 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Arrange the fried chicken cordon bleu breasts in a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and arrange in a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating a saucepan and pouring-in the cream of chicken soup, stir and add the water and sour cream. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice. Stir and turn the heat off.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken cordon bleu. Serve.