Popcorn chicken are cubed chicken breast dipped in beaten eggs and dredged in a mixture composed of flour and spices and deep fried until golden brown.
Kids love these yummy crispy treats for lunch. Popcorn chicken also make a good snack for everyone. You can dip it in your favorite dip such as fresh ranch, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, and even sweet and sour sauce. Try this recipe and give your suggestions and opinion on how to make it better.
How to Cook Popcorn Chicken
As you can see in the video and on the recipe below, making your own popcorn chicken is simple. Start by having all the ingredients on hand. Combine the flour mixture starting with the all-purpose flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Make sure that these are well blended. Slice the chicken breasts into cubes. You can sprinkle some salt on the sliced chicken breasts to give it more flavor, or you can leave it without salt and rely on the spices in the flour mixture. The recipe below does not call for salt to be sprinkled on the chicken, but you may sprinkle a pinch or two of salt if desired.
The eggs, on the other hand, needs to be beaten before you dip the chicken in. Simply beat it using a fork. Once everything is set, start to heat the oil. The best deep frying temperature is between 350 F to 375 F. Use a cooking thermometer to measure it, or you can use a deep fryer that have temperature settings. Gently add the dredged chicken piece by piece and deep fry until golden brown.
Now, it is up to you on how you prefer to enjoy it. Grab your favorite dip or probably use these for the chicken wrap that you were craving for. Whatever your plan or prefer, do not forget to enjoy your food. Cheers!
Watch the video on How to Cook Popcorn Chicken
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups cooking oil
- Slice the chicken breast into cubes. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl. Beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix using a whisk until well blended.
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil. Let the oil reach 365 F temperature.
- Meanwhile, dip the cubed chicken on the beaten egg and then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Once the oil is ready, deep fry the popcorn chicken by batches of 8 to 10 pieces for 5 to 8 minutes or until the color turns golden brown. Remove from the pot and let the excess oil drip. Arrange in a plate lined with paper towel.